Sunday, February 24, 2008

Nights with Henry


Every day I ask Henry how his day was.  The normal response is "good."  Last week, I asked him this question as I was putting him to bed.  In what I suspect was yet another tactic to prolong the inevitable, he began to tell me in great detail all about his day - "first I went to school and helped Ms. Clara get my friends, then I did my writing folder, then I went to centers, then we had circle time, then morning snack and then I went to centers again, and then we had lunch, and quiet time, then we had afternoon circle time and we went outside and then Daddy picked me up..."  You get the idea.  
At the end of his detailed report, I ask him what his favorite thing was that he did that day... it varies depending on the day... yesterday his favorite part of the day was eating a donut.  Except for Fridays and Saturdays...
You see, in an effort to get Henry to sleep in his own bed for as much time as possible, we came up with the rule that he has to sleep in his bed on school nights, but on Fridays and Saturdays, he can sleep in Mommy & Daddy's bed.  And because he stays up a little later on those nights and I am normally tired by that time, 9 times out of 10, I wind up going to bed with him... we call it "snuggling."  Yes, he's almost 5 and no, this probably isn't the smartest or healthiest thing I do and he grinds his teeth in his sleep and can't keep still, so I don't get much sleep at all... but this past weekend, when he was done giving me his daily report of the day, I asked what his favorite part was and he said, "Snuggling with Mommy" and in the mornings, when he wakes up, he hugs me...
OK, I know the kid is super smart and quite possibly working me and yes, I am a sap... but I figure we'll keep snuggling as long as he wants....

2 comments:

Katie said...

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!

sybyl said...

I just want to know where you find the time?:) I envy you!