Saturday, May 31, 2008

Potty Training Weekend - Day 1; 9:40am

According to Kyra's teachers at school, she is ready to be potty trained.  Let's bear in mind that she is only 27 months old.  I personally think the teachers don't want to change diapers, but I concede to try.  They want me to buy pull-ups;  I do not want to buy them.  They are way more expensive & do not help a child learn that wet sensation.  So on Tuesday, I sent her to school with her new panties & plastic pants - 3 pair.  Tuesday evening, all 3 pairs of plastic pants came home, along with clothes to go with it.  On Wednesday, I asked Kyra if she wanted to put on her panties & she said NO.

Her teacher said the plastic pants were too hard for Kyra to manipulate and we should get pull-ups (I'm wondering if the school gets a commission on the sale of pull-ups).  I decided then that I would spend all weekend at home with Kyra - in nothing but her panties & clothes... my plan is to put her on the potty every hour and if she has an accident, let her feel what that is like.

So this morning, we put her in her brand new Princess panties and off she went to the play room.  Twenty minutes later, I went in to check on the kids & found that she had gone #2 in her Princess panties... We talked about where you go #2 and promptly threw away said panties... I then put her in her WalMart brand panties as I could see where this was headed... I'm willing to clean up a lot, but not that!!!

At 8am, after breakfast, I put Kyra on the potty & she did it!  We clapped, we cheered - we were all so excited!!  At 9:15am, I was on the phone & thought she'd be fine for a few more minutes... I checked again at 9:20am and yes - she had peed her pants... and was playing happily, although walking funny.  

Now, granted, it's only 2 hours into my Potty Training Weekend... but after she went in her pants, don't you think she would have told me, if she were in fact ready for this??  I'm not optimistic for what the weekend holds... wish me luck!

1 comment:

Katie said...

I'm totally with you on the pull-ups situation. Stay your ground on this one... it does not teach children potty training. It just keeps the mess to a minimum. She'll get there. If she goes a whole weekend wetting her panties over and over again, she may get that she doesn't like it. I've got my fingers crossed for you.