Sunday, June 8, 2008

Hydrangeas



I love hydrangeas.  They are one of my favorite flowers... Brad bought me a hydrangea plant after I had Henry - brought it up to my hospital room.  Sadly, it did not survive long once we took it home (thankfully, Henry fared  much better).  I'll admit, we do NOT have a green thumb.  We've killed a glorious ficus tree, a thriving rosemary plant, and countless house plants.  So when we moved to this house 4 years ago, and Brad wanted to plant hydrangea shrubs (or bushes?), I was skeptical.  I was sure they'd never last... but Brad actually loves to plant stuff outside - true the crepe myrtle in the corner of the lot aren't faring that well, but I haven't given up hope on them just yet.

To my surprise, the hydrangeas have flourished in our back yard!  Each year, the flowers multiply, turn more purplish-blue than the year before and the plant continues to spread... 

I'm trying not to give up hope on my parenting skills either - hoping that I'll be equally surprised at how my children turn out.  You see, they have seriously tested me all weekend long!!!  Henry gets mad when told not to do something, or when games/toys don't go his way and he spits, throws & bites things (thankfully, he only bites the toys).  The spiting, throwing & biting happened at least 3 times in a 24 hour period.  Kyra destroyed Henry's Disney autograph  book... she also refused "quiet time" and in protest, removed her diaper and went #2 in her crib!  Neither child used good table manners at dinner and were caught jumping on the bed at least 15 times throughout the day, despite being told twice as many times NOT to!!  

Maybe it's the heat and I was cranky?  Maybe they are just being kids?  Maybe I've watched one too many episodes of A&E's Intervention & am paranoid that what they'll remember is my yelling at them all weekend and eventually turn to drugs...  Or maybe learning to listen and use good manners is just as hard as learning patience and good parenting skills?  Hopefully we'll all do as well as the Hydrangeas outside.


1 comment:

Katie said...

I think you're being way too hard on yourself. You're a loving, caring Mommy. It's so obvious in the way you speak of your children and in the relationship you share with them. Just because you had one bad weekend doesn't mean that they will start rebelling against you when they're older. In fact, I think parents are supposed to be tested by their children once in a while. Children need to know and remind themselves of their boundaries. It makes them feel safe, secure and loved. You're doing the right thing. Don't beat yourself up.