Thursday, December 11, 2008

The Holiday Shop

Henry's school has a "holiday shop" and each class gets to go shopping there one time.  The email I received from school said that most items in the shop were $1 or less, some were $2 and even fewer items were $3.  Henry's class went today to do their shopping.  The idea is that you put money in an envelope, write on the envelope who they are buying for & send them on their merry shopping way.

Last night, Henry totally did not want to shop.  This morning, I stuck $5 in an envelope and wrote "For Mommy, Daddy & Kyra."  I told him that if he wanted to shop, he had plenty of cash to do so... or did he?

He was VERY excited when I picked him up today - it was the first thing he told me... he said, "I went to the holiday shop today... but I ran out of money... I couldn't buy you anything."

I was sure he was kidding - a little 5 year old humor... I mean, I'm his MOTHER - I gave him LIFE!  I still dress him every morning, give him a bath almost every night and stay up with him when he's sick.  I planned his birthday party & made up all the party favors.  I bake him brownies every few weeks... Surely I got a sticker or something?  Surely his teacher provided him with a quick math lesson on what to spend per person when you have $5 for 3 people?

He wasn't kidding... he bought Kyra a container of bubble gum (because she loves the stuff) and he bought Brad a picture frame with baseballs on it... I know this because he insisted that they open their presents today!  These are extremely sweet, well thought out gifts... I'm actually quite proud that he saw these items and thought of his sister & Dad.  

I've decided to chalk this up to the fact that MAYBE I am hard to shop for????   

1 comment:

Katie said...

Awww! Don't take it personally... you know Henry loves you!