Sunday, June 28, 2009

Email from YMCA Day Camp


Henry has thoroughly enjoyed the last two weeks at Day Camp. I was a little worried about sending him to the Lake Norman YMCA for the summer... something new always makes me very nervous. The first thing he said to me when I picked him up after his first day was "Mommy, I love summer camp" and every morning, he is beyond excited to go! I can't tell you how happy (and relieved) I was!!

Three days ago, I received the following email from the Camp CoOrdinator:

Dear Ms. James,
At the YMCA camp, I've asked all the counselors to choose one camper who stands out above the rest. This is always a hard decision to make since all children are special and unique in their own way. However, Stumpy, Henry's counselor, stated that she chose Henry. She stated that Henry always follows directions and is respectful on field trips. Not only is he a born leader, he always has such a great attitude about everything. Please let him know how proud we are of him.

I am not sure who was more excited and proud to read this email - me/Brad or Henry! I have an amazing child!!

An amazing child whose had a rough 3 days... Henry had his tonsils out on Friday and watching your sweet child suffer is just heart breaking... waking up from anesthesia is very difficult for a child. They are disoriented, in pain, crying - he was begging for medicine and telling the nurses they were destroying his life. I honestly didn't know whether to laugh or cry! He's spent most of the last few days on my lap and you can see him in pain when he swallows.

I hope he is feeling better by July 4th - as we are off to Rochester for the week!

2 comments:

Katie said...

Awww! That letter is soooo sweet!

I hope Henry's throat feels better very soon!

Judi said...

That must have showered you with affirmation. And I can guarantee it will shower Henry with affirmation, too. If not now, then in the years ahead. Have a great time in Rochester!