Sunday, March 16, 2008

Birthday at Biltmore





This past weekend, Brad & I had the opportunity to get away, sans children!  We dropped the kids off on Thursday eve, and then Friday morning, drove to Asheville & spent the weekend on the Biltmore Estate.  The Inn at Biltmore is very beautiful!  We were able to check in early & our room had a gorgeous view of the mountains & the Biltmore House.  Look hard & you can see it in the first few pictures!
We headed off to our first tour - the Behind the Scenes Tour at the House.  It was very interesting - I'll be honest, I'd hoped for a bit more gossip behind the scenes, but instead we learned how the house had running water, plumbing, electricity and refrigerators - which of course, not many people had in 1895.  It kept Brad entertained anyway.
Then we headed off to the winery, which used to be a working dairy!  I bet you didn't know that.  I consider myself somewhat knowledgeable as to George W. Biltmore history now.  Did you know that he built Biltmore when he was in his 30's?  And originally owned 125,000 acres of land in Asheville?  He died at the age of 51 in March after an unfortunate appendectomy surgery.  After his death, his wife Edith & their only child Cornelia, sold over 100,000 of the acres back to the government & that is now the Pisgah National Forest.  There, now you've learned something today.
OK, where was I - the winery - yes, it was cool.  On Saturday, we took a tour of the House - that took over an hour & a half!  It is HUGE - there are four acres of floor space in that house, 33 bedrooms, 43 bathrooms (none of them working, FYI), 3 kitchens and an indoor swimming pool.  After our tour, we headed back to the winery and had lunch at the Bistro and then took a rather disappointing tour of the winery (there were only 3 things to see)... but at the end, did another wine tasting , which confirmed that I do NOT like red wine.
We got home about noon today, to mow the lawn (Brad of course, not me) and do laundry.  As soon as the Tar Heels win the ACC Tournament (God help me if they don't), we are headed up to pick up the babes.  I miss them and can't wait to see them!!!

5 comments:

Katie said...

Glad you had a good time! The Biltmore is a beautiful place!

Anonymous said...

The kids were glad to have you back. They were growing weary of their grandparents and had pretty well run them down. They just needed a new challenge. Really, we had a great time watching Carolina whip up on all challengers and picking flowers to make a vase for their mom. They really missed both of you.

Katie said...

Who's birthday was it anyway?

Danielle said...

Katie - it was my 36th birthday! I'm so old!!! Remember, Brad's birthday was last October, when he got the big screen that Ben coveted!!!

Katie said...

Happy birthday, Danielle! Didn't you hear that 40 is the new 30? Doesn't that make 36 the new 26?

By the way, I think I was supposed to spell it "whose". My grammar is lacking these days. My bad.