Saturday, November 8, 2008

Time to Brag


Henry & Brad are outside playing football & Kyra fell asleep on the way home from the grocery store, so I have a few minutes to brag.  And I mean REALLY BRAG!

Last Monday I had my first parent/teacher conference w/ Ms. Fentress.  She LOVES Henry - and while I'm sure she says this to all the parents, I actually believe she loves Henry the best... the rice krispie treats I brought in (at Henry's request) for Teacher Recognition Day probably didn't hurt.  She & Mrs. Floto (the assistant teacher) could not believe that Henry remembered that rice krispie treats were their favorite!

So Ms. Fentress said that Henry was so sweet & kind and nice to all of his class mates.  She loves how excited he gets although admitted that sometimes, he seems to space out for a bit.  She then explained how they put children into small working groups when they do reading or writing or math.  Henry, she said, is in his OWN group for reading!  She said that he is easily at a 3rd grade reading level, but that it is hard to test that because there are not a lot of age appropriate books at that level for KDG kids... so she is going to talk to second grade teachers to get ideas of how to keep Henry interested, without just giving him more work to do.  She said that he not only read extremely well, but that he totally comprehended what he read too.  

Of course, I thought this was all so wonderful, but I expressed my concern that he didn't know how to tie his shoes... she laughed at me and said, "Well if THAT is what you want to focus on... Henry could really just pay someone to tie his shoes for him... while he reads War & Peace!"  

We talked for about an hour.  I told her that Henry loved patterns and that I tried to trick him with an a/b/c/d/e/f pattern one day & he told me, "Mommy, we only do patterns up to E."  Ms. Fentress said, "Yea, most the kids in here struggle with a/b patterns."  When I asked if there was anything we should be doing at home, she said, "You did hear me say he was in his own reading group right?"  

So my post is all about Henry & why the picture of Kyra you ask??  For starters it is totally cute, but secondly, I'm sure I'll be writing the same things about her in 3 years... because my kids are ADVANCED!

1 comment:

Katie said...

You have the most advanced most brilliant kids EVER! HOW oh HOW did you get Henry to read so early? Will I be able to do it with Mabel or will I have to get Henry to come tutor her?