Thursday, August 21, 2008

Open House

Yesterday was Open House at JV Washam Elementary.  We got to see Henry's new classroom, meet his teacher, and even went to the school store and bought him a "JV Washam Hawk" t-shirt.  Mrs. Fentress was very nice!  Henry was a little shy in her classroom, but he loved walking around the school.  We took him to the cafeteria, the gym, the library and we even did a dry run and asked him to try to find his class from the car pool drop off area.  He did great!  What's even more exciting is that one of the boys in Henry's Kindergarten went to his daycare at Gateway!  I don't know if the boys will remember each other but it is somehow comforting to know that a familiar face will be in his class!

Oddly, Mrs. Fentress suggested that I NOT walk Henry in next Tuesday.  I'm guessing with 19 years of teaching experience, she's seen enough blubbering mothers to know that the first day of school is a tough one.  I very nicely told her that I did not think it would be possible for me to not do so.

After we left, Henry said that he loved his new school!  When I asked him what his favorite thing about it was, he said, "Everything!"  I took this as a very good sign and while I'm still semi-scared for next Tuesday, I'm slightly less worried about it.

No comments: